We love strawberries in this house, and it is a good thing! Because yesterday I OD'd on strawberries, and now we have 42 1/2 pints of strawberry jam, 5-6 quarts of frozen strawberries, about 1/2 quart of dried strawberries, fresh strawberry shortcake, and one large-ish batch of strawberry fruit leather cooking away.

Yes, I over picked strawberries. But it was great fun making jam with Nanna and Lauren. Both were quite a big help: Nanna for her expertise, her babysitting while I picked 2 flats of berries, and her hulling, cooking and jarring up of hot jam. (But not for the mixing up of sealed jars with unsealed jars though! he he) and Lauren for her hulling, mashing, washing, and general help with the whole process.
We should now have enough strawberry "stuff" to help get us through the summer. I have to admit, having fresh strawberries all summer long was a great perk about living in California.

Now, on to cherry, blueberry, & raspberry season! YUM!
No comments:
Post a Comment