Saturday, February 9, 2008

AWWWESOOOOMMMME

We have a new peer-influenced word in our house. Lauren now uses the word Awesome right and left. Only, she doesn't say it like I did when I was a youth -- oh so many years ago. She kind of whispers it, so it is fairly breathy sounding, and the individual sounds are dragged out fairly long. Except for the "s," that is a normal length. And the whole end fades away to almost, well, faint sounding. This word, which previously was reserved for truely awe inspiring things, now simply means this is interesting to me in some way; it has slipped a few notched of importance in the past 20 years even.

I find it interesting that this word, once again, is in the vernacular of yet another generation, in a slightly different way. Hmmm, what will happen in a few years when my kids are truely into their peers and under more of that influence? Oh help us!

No comments: