Thursday, February 28, 2008

Explaining the Pink Band Aid

For those who have been curious, I'll explain the recent appearance of a pink band aid on Annika's face. Now that it is two or three weeks past the "incidence, " I guess I should explain it in kind terms.

One Saturday morning the girls were happily playing together. They had been playing in their rooms nicely, some imaginary game that neither Bill nor I were really giving much attention to. In fact, Bill was in the Dungeon playing his computer game, and I was in the Oval Office doing something at the computer. Suddenly Annika started crying, and it was a real cry, not one of the, "I am frustrated" cries she is prone to when the two of them cannot agree on something. The cry was not precipitated by any arguments, so I quickly ran upstairs to see what happened.

Lauren had already saught reffuge in her room and shut the door. Not a good sign for her innocence. Annika was doing the no-sound cry, and I noticed a scratch on her nose and cheek. Nothing major, but a big cry for a little scratch on the face. I did a quick scan of Annika's room and saw a broken plastic hanger on the floor. Once Annika was settled down some, I asked her what happened. Lauren came out of her room then and said that Annika would not let her be the captain. (I am assuming they were playing some pirate game, but who knows!) Annika said that she had wanted to be the captain, and when Annika told Lauren this, Lauren hit Annika in the face with the hanger! Apparently she hit so hard that the hanger broke! No wonder Annika was crying hard for a little scratch! And upon a second look, there was a little welt over her nose and on her cheek. Poor kid!

Lauren did not think that she did anything too bad, in fact, she felt justified since Annika "never" lets her be the captain. Oh the logic of a 6-year-old! Surfice it to say that Annika's scratch is now healed - although she did have a pretty bad reaction to the adheasive on the band aid, and she still bears a red mark on her face from the band aid, but not from the hanger. And Lauren, hopefully, will not repeat this behavior again.

One can hope, right?!

1 comment:

WESLEY said...

Ah hah! thanks for that!