Sunday, February 17, 2008

Dreamcatchers

Bill received a dreamcatcher in the mail, as part of a fundraising letter from a school for Native Americians. The girls loved the look of it, and wanted one of their own. So, Bill decided to help them each make their own dreamcatcher. Annika is a little young, and lacks the attention span to do much on her own, but the two of them did a good job working together to create a really nice dreamcatcher. (I sometimes lack patience when Annika and I are attempting more complex tasks, Bill is really good with her!) Lauren did a great job doing 95% of the work all by herself.

Bill hung them over each of their beds, and then I sat down and talked about the history of dreamcatchers. Annika was really listening and trying to understand everything I was saying. She has this look on her face when she is digesting complex information, and it is just priceless. I wish I had a photo of that face to post! But both girls really were thrilled to learn that dream catchers originated with the Ojibwa tribes in Northern Michigan, where we went camping with Grandma this summer. It struck a cord with them. How cool that that fun summer experience is now connected with a fun family activity that hangs over their beds.

No comments: