We happened to find a caterpillar in the Community Garden before we left for vacation, and the girls really wanted to take it home with them. OK, I thought. I took a piece of the pea plant (I accidentally broke off) where I found the caterpillar, and we took it home. It soon formed a cocoon. Not a chrysalis mind you, this was a moth and we knew so because of how the Caterpillar formed its cocoon! Smart kids, I tell ya! Anyway, today I checked on the little bugger, and there it was on top of our butterfly habitat! The moth had emerged!
To add to our excitement, we received our painted lady butterfly larva (AKA caterpillars) today! (And yes, the girls are calling them larva often, not caterpillars.) So we set out decorating a little journal that we will use to document the changes to our painted ladies. The girls had a blast stamping and drawing on the pages.
We watched our five tiny larvas wiggle around and walk inside their container. We are all excited to watch them grow larger, form their chrysalis, and eventually emerge as butterflies.
No comments:
Post a Comment