Friday, October 2, 2009

Fairy House Building

Our local library is wonderful! This school year they have started having classes during all the no-school-days. Today they had a fairy house building day. We were there in a flash! (And for some unknown reason Barbara and Abby had to come too.)

I have a ton of photos to share, probably more than necessary. The girls really enjoyed this. The class used these wooden boxes the library had sitting around from some supplies they used to receive years ago. These boxes were the base for the houses - pretty ingenious idea, I thought!




There was fabrics, glitter, die-cut pieces, ribbons, and countless other items to use to decorate your box. The room was filled with kids (even boys!) spending a good hour quietly and intently creating away ... all with no pre-disclosed plan. I loved this because it was so open-ended, and so many projects for kids these days are cookie-cutter reproductions of something the adult made. For this project there was no pre-made model! The kids just used their own imagination.





Annika and Lauren spent the longest out of anyone in this room creating. My kids can stick to a task for quite awhile if you let them. I actually had to eventually round them up and have them leave the area because there was another class coming in for a different project soon!








No comments: