It was a rainy day today, and we had no plans to go anywhere or do anything. We all stayed in our PJs far too long, but had a good time.
I tried to work on the newsletters some, but kiddos kept wanting attention. And really, I have not "done something" with them in quite a while. So I made a deal that if they gave me one hour I would do a project with them. It worked, basically.
So - I let them choose between two books, either The Doorbell Rang, or Treasure Map, and then we did some fun activities. They agreed to do rock, paper, scissors to see who got to choose the book. Annika won.
We read The Doorbell Rang first. So I read the book to them (brief synopsis: Mom bakes 12 cookies for two kids to share; 6 cookies each. Then the doorbell rings and two friends show up; 3 cookies each. Then the doorbell rings and two more friends show up; 2 cookies each. Then the doorbell rings and 4 friends show up; 1 cookie each.) and when we were done reading the book I had them each grab 6 animals/dolls to reenact the story.
We used crackers for cookies and had the dolls be the characters in the story. Annika was busy adding up how many people were at the table now that there were more friends, and Lauren was doing the division. They loved it! In fact, they tried other variations on friends and total cookies. When we were all done reenacting the story, I let them eat the "cookies" and it was cute to watch them share with their dolls and animals.
Now the fun part - everyone gets to eat their one cookie! And the girls each have 6 to eat!
After we ate our snack, I then took out our project journals and tried to do some documenting of this with them. It was harder for Annika. I thought I could have her divide her 12 drawn cookies into equal groups to help her see that the quantity 12 is a bunch of different groupings ... but it was too much for her. I ended up just re-distributing twelve little "stone" gem thingies we have and use for counters. So she got some of the re-grouping concept, but it was too much for her really. Lauren, however, really has a firm grasp of all of this division stuff.
I wanted to make real cookies today, but there was just too much other stuff that had to be done. So maybe later in the week I'll get to that with them. My "wouldn't it be neat" idea is to have them watch the Hefalump movie and then make Rumpadoodles. But we'll see.
Fast forward to early afternoon, and this is what I was greeted with:
A very happy Annika lost her second tooth today!
Oh yea, we made maps - I'll get to that later. This is a long post!!
Whew, what a busy day we have had. But quite the fun one too!
No comments:
Post a Comment