The process, while a bit long, was surprisingly easy and rather fun. First you eat a watermelon. That is the really easy and fun part! I let the girls go hog wild and eat as much as they wanted in one sitting. ^burp^ Then I cut the green skin off and most of the pink flesh, and cut the remaining rinds parts into 1x2 inch strips. These we soaked in salty water overnight.
The next morning I drained the salty mixture, and replaced fresh water in the pot, and boiled the rinds for awhile in the fresh water. Meanwhile we boiled up a mixture of water, cider vinegar, and spices (it reminds me of gherkin pickles) to pour over our rinds later.
Once the boiled rinds cooled off, and the pickling mixture cooled of, we poured the liquid into the rind pot and let that sit overnight. There was not much work in this project, just a lot of "sitting" steps that you have to remember. However when you have this huge pot of stuff in your fridge, it is awfully hard to forget about it!
2 comments:
Where does she come up with these ideas? I've never heard of pickled watermelon rinds, didn't even know they existed!
Her ideas come from the 300+ books she has read about pioneers and such. We even have a cookbook on Laura Ingalls/Little House recipes!
http://ourlifentimes.blogspot.com/2008/10/living-like-laura.html
OK, so I indulge her whims a bit; it is FUN!
Post a Comment