Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Chocolate Mint Marshmallows! YUM!

I found a new staple for Holiday treats! I made homemade marshmallows - real yummy - and we dipped them in chocolate then crushed mint candies. I am not a huge marshmallow fan, nor much of a mint candy fan either, but the combination really was fantastic!


First I made marshmallows (duh) and while it was a bit time consuming, it really was not hard at all. I am most definitely going to do this again! The recipe made a huge batch - this is only what we did not dip into chocolate & mint. (If you want the recipe, you can google it, or let me know and I'll share. But I have to look it up myself too!)

While the marshmallows were setting, we hammered some mint candies into tiny pieces. The next time I do this I am going to use the blender, I think, and make the pieces smaller. Fine, tiny, pieces work best. But it was fun to hammer and smash a whole bag of mint candies!


Then we melted some chocolate chips for dipping. I thought I would have preferred a smooth milk chocolate but I did like the sharp contrast of sweet mint and marshmallow against a more bitter chocolate.



Once the marshmallows were dipped into the chocolate, we immediately dipped into the mint candies. It did take awhile for the chocolate to set up, so really there was not that much of a rush.

This was so much fun to do together, and surprisingly easy to make. They look and sound so complicated, but really are not! The girls were very easily able to do all the dipping and such. The making of marshmallows was the most complex and really that was not so hard. I see no reason why the faint of heart could not use store bought marshmallows too.

I have ideas of ways to use this for other holidays. Homemade "peeps" anyone??

No comments: