Sunday, May 25, 2008

Our Busy Saturday

Today was busy! But fun.

Lauren's Brownie troop had a garage sale this morning. Everyone donated items and all profits went to their charity. I believe the troop is going to adopt an animal at our local wild-life habitation center. We raised $250 so I bet we could do quite a bit of good with that tidy sum!


Lauren in front of the stuffed animals at the Brownie garage sale.


While Lauren and I were at the garage sale, Bill and Annika went to our Community Garden project and began planting seeds. Lauren and I joined everyone around noon.


Lauren found the longest stemmed dandelion.



We, or Bill and Rob I think, raked and mounded quite a few hills and rows in our garden. We managed to plant cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, butternut and acorn squash, cantaloupe and watermelon seeds. The really cool part is that we planted one or two hills of all of the above for each family, plus one hill for the Food Bank. So, we have made the commitment to grow and donate some fresh (organic!) foods to our community. We all really feel good about that!

We then planted tomatoes, peppers (yuck!) carrots, beets, radishes,and beans. This all is added to our already present grapes, raspberries, strawberries, asparagus, onions, lettuces, spinach, and peas. We have some space left over and figured we might plant some chard and kale too.


The girls love to help, and they did a great job of both playing and helping. One of the other families that is doing this with us has a 4yr old girl and 1yr old boy. Sometimes it is a bit hard to work with all the kids either wanting to help, needing to nap, arguing over a toy - but that is fairly rare as they all get along well, or needing to eat.

Here Carrie is playing the Pied Piper - if you break out the food all the kids come running over to eat!

And just as we were finishing off watering our newly planted seeds, the three girls found some fun in the mud. What started off as a small foray into mud puddles quickly grew to, well, a lot of good (clean?) fun.


But, luckily it was warm out and girls easily wash up!

All in all it was a very fun day!

1 comment:

The Doodle Family (As Authored by Kimberley) said...

Hi Kay,
That is so awesome about your community garden. I wish we could get something like that going here but I just think climate and space is against us. I'm still working at getting a container garden going. I'll keep you posted. :-)