
I have been working on place value with Annika lately. We have regrouped objects into 10's and 1's - and she is getting the concept ... even stretching it on to the hundreds occasionally on her own. Yeah! So I thought I'd throw in a fun game to help her practice some place value, and a little addition and money value as well to boot - which was great for Lauren. Although, I would do this very differently if playing with just Lauren. (Which I might do one night instead of reading with her.)

First I created a game board that had three columns and labeled it, from right to left , 1 cent, 10 cent, and 100 cent. I then gathered pennies and dimes, enough for us to have 10 each, and also gathered one die. (dice, die ... I hate being grammatically correct with this name.)

The game is simple, and easy to vary to the player's aptitude and skill level; You roll the die and then gather enough pennies to match the number you rolled. Place the coins in the appropriate column and when you fill-up the column (reach 10) you exchange those coins for the next set. The first person to reach 100 cents, or $1, one.
Annika did quite a bit of math with this game, not only place value and coin value, but also simple addition and quick recognition of the value (or quantity) of a small group of objects ... another thing I'd like to work with her on improving.
She loved to write the value / number she had created after each roll. This was her spontaneous addition to the game, but heck, who was I to stop it!

The numbers were not always legible, but she did get better as the game progressed. And, eventually she began writing down both the 10's digit and the 1's digit side by side to logically create the correct number. I love watching her brain process and connect thoughts like this. And really, she does catch on quickly. Unfortunately, Lauren won the game, and that infuriated Annika.
However, this game is a must to play again - and I might even throw in two dice, and an add and subtract twist somehow for Lauren.
No comments:
Post a Comment