Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Pool is Open!

We decided that we were going to purchase one of those fairly inexpensive (as pools go) easy-set pools. The girls have had swim lessons for the past few summers, yet they still really cannot swim; Annika out-and-out sinks, and Lauren is barely able to keep her head above water while dog paddling.
So, after a very long search fraught with multiple problems, we finally found a pool, set it up (twice) and built a safety-ish fence around it. MI law requires a fence around anything over 24" deep, but apparently no one knows about this law as there are very few pool fences. And the easy-set pools are, well, that is another story. I was working in the same office as the building inspector and he had a 3-year-old drown, so I now know a bit more than before, and suffice it to say he really hates the easy-set pools!! We chose to erect a simple, non-compliant, "barrier" to make it more difficult to climb in and drown. I kept joking to Bill that this is like the, "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" books, because one simple pool purchase created quite the event of purchases and modifications. BUT ...

The water was finally warm enough that the girls braved the cold and went in. 4 times. And look, Annika is actually floating now! OK, I think it will all be worth it in the end.

No comments: