So when she balked at trying on new clothing, I suggested we play "shopping" and she could pick out the clothing she liked. Both girls JUMPED at this idea! They even took it one step further and suggested they buy their clothes. I thought that was a wonderful idea, full of all kinds of math opportunities!
Lauren even folded some of her clothing and set little piles around the room.

The girls then brought down their purses, full of play money and play credit cards (which I used as a real life credit lesson too! They had to pay back that credit card later! ...I plan on sending them a bill in a few weeks! hehe) and their reusable bags (good girls!) to put their purchases in to take home.
We decided all items were $2 each, but "fancy" clothing was $3. Lauren did both multiplication and addition, Annika did mainly addition ... in her head! We also worked on making change and coin values etc. This was really a fun way to do a lot of math!
They got so into this "purchasing" idea, that they wanted to buy toys too. So I grabbed a tub of old Fisher Price toys (I am trying to get rid of them, but the girls keep wanting to play with them still!) and they purchased some of those.
Finally I got hungry, and told them the shop was closing for lunch. I asked the girls if they wanted lunch and they placed their lunch orders - suddenly I was a waitress in a restaurant! Annika even wrote out some menu items for us!
Lauren, obviously influenced by some of the Pioneer stuff she has been reading, said that she lived in an apartment over the store and ran upstairs to "clean her apartment." She even left the waitress a little note so that the waitress would call her when lunch was ready!
So I made them a bento style lunch to take to their upstairs apartments. I figured school was starting in a week and I'd better get back into the habit of bento lunches! This is a half eaten lunch photo. Just because!
We decided all items were $2 each, but "fancy" clothing was $3. Lauren did both multiplication and addition, Annika did mainly addition ... in her head! We also worked on making change and coin values etc. This was really a fun way to do a lot of math!
What a fun fun morning we had doing this! I will definitely remember this idea come spring when we have to pack away their winter clothing and get out summer clothes. And I have a few more ideas to add to the mix too!
No comments:
Post a Comment