We did not have school on Friday, and the girls woke me up bright and early, all excited to make their Solar System Mobile. Uggg - I was so looking forward to sleeping in! Sigh.
So, after trying to feed them breakfast (the did not want anything) and trying to convince them to get dressed (they did not want to waste time dressing) I was finally able to convince them that I need coffee before I could help them at all. So they found some of the many solar system and space books we have and the began looking through them for inspiration on creating our planets.
I love doing these projects with the girls; I actually do the project that they are doing , but I let them take the lead and decide what they are going to do, and how they will do it. They are actually figuring out how to learn through exploration, and how to document these new thoughts and observations. While this is exactly the outcome I want and the exact ideal learning environment I would love to have for them always, I never expected these project journals to be such a simple and complete method of achieving this. And, big bonus, they kids LOVE the projects and the documenting!
We did not have time to paint the giant glue-balls of newspaper, but hopefully some time soon we will finish the project. However, if you ask me, the real benefit to the whole project was the first hour or so. But I do want them to have a finished object to look at and be proud of their work.
No comments:
Post a Comment