Monday, January 12, 2009

Introducing Laura

Lauren wanted a rag doll for Christmas - in the spirit of all things Laura Ingalls and Pioneer. So, armed with little knowledge and no experience, I set out to create a rag doll for her.

It was not pretty, but I did it. She, luckily, is thrilled beyond belief. And, to make my experiment even better, it turns out that I did not have time nor energy to finish the doll - just sew together the body. So there was no hair, no face, no clothing. But this meant that Lauren was able to participate in the personalizing of the doll. (Although, one could argue that the funny shape of this doll is personal enough!!)

Grandma helped Lauren give hair to the doll. Lauren sewed buttons on for eyes, and embroidered a nose and mouth. I then created a dress from some fabric Lauren chose from her stash.
Whew. This was a team project, but she loves her. And in a weird way so do I. Odd as she may be.