Monday, April 20, 2009

Another Trip Thru Time

Our neighbor lent us passes to Greenfield Village, so the family went this past weekend. It was supposed to rain later in the afternoon, but the morning was decent weather - chilly but not raining. Lucky for us, it was very warm and sunny both Friday and Saturday, so most people went to the village the day before; we had hardly any people in our way!


The girls were very excited to go yet again. Here they are racing across the parking lot in a huge hurry to enter the village. Too funny!

The train was working this trip (it was put away for the winter the previous trip) and the girls were so excited to be able to ride a real coal steam engine. Bill and I enjoyed watching the workers shovel coal into the engine; they were very black and dirty! Made me wonder if they showered before they went home, or as soon as they were home. The strange thoughts that cross my mind occasionally!

We road the train all the way around the exterior of the village area - it is interesting to see how the area has developed around this oasis, and makes me really wonder just how rural the area used to be not too long ago! I know that Dearborn consists of a lot of 1950-era, post WWII bungalows, so I'd imagine that up until the past 40ish years it was fairly rural around there. Anyway ....



After riding the train, we rode an old bus around part of the village. Then we road a horse drawn wagon, and finally we road the old fashion Carousal.

This is an all wooden animal, restored ride. We all had the opportunity to ride on it, and the ride lasts for quite a long time, going fairly fast! I must confess that I felt rather woozy when I finally got off the ride. Not that it is a big surprise, as I get light headed in elevators ....



We stopped in a few buildings, like this log cabin of George Washington Carver .. I think. (my memory may be wrong) Lauren had to go into a real log cabin .... and here (below) is Annika trying to break out of locked doors! It made me laugh!

Soon after visiting the three or four buildings we did see, we stopped to eat lunch. They offer this really cool "hobo" lunch for kids - it is a sandwich, raisins, yogurt, and milk all bundled up in a handkerchief and tied onto a stick. The kids had to each get one! I think we should have this as a "picnic" lunch one day this summer ... in our back yard, or maybe in the common area.

The rain started shortly after this, and we spent the remaining time (until the village closed) watching the craft sections. The glass blowing is, of course, always a good hour or more of good educational entertainment, and we visited the tin shop, the printing shop (where the girls each were able to help print a flier) the pottery shop, and finally we saw the textile and weaving shop.

I cant wait to go in the summer when they have more hands-on demos available.

No comments: